Professor of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology
Director, Clinical Rheumatology Research Program
Staff Physician (Without Compensation), St Louis VA Medical Center
Areas of Clinical Interest
- Board certified, American Board of Internal Medicine, 19753
- B.S.: Reed College, Portland, OR, 1962
- Medical Degree: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1966
- Internship: Bellevue Hospital New York University, NYC, NY, 1966-1967
- USPHS Fellow in Allergy and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1969-1972
- Resident: Washington University School of Medicine and Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, MO, 1972-1974
- MSc: Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, M.Sc. in Epidemiology, June, 1989
- St. Louis VA Medical Center
Awards and Honors
- 1993, Commendation for invention of Medication Compliance Monitor from James W. Holsinger, Jr., M.D., Under Secretary for Health
- 2014, VA Women Veterans’ Health Research Impact Award
- Eisen S, Francis J. Transformation of VHA health data into clinically useful information to provide quality veteran care. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2010;47:xiii-xv.
- Eisen SA, Karlinsky J, Jackson LW, Blanchard M, Kang HK, Murphy FM, Alpern R, Reda DJ, Toomey R, Battistone MJ, Parks BJ, Klimas N, Pak HS, Hunter J, Lyons MJ, Henderson WG. Spouses of Gulf War I Veterans: Medical Evaluation of a Population Based Cohort. Military Medicine 2006;171:613-18.
- Eisen SA, Kang HK, Murphy FM, Blanchard M, Reda DJ, Henderson WG, Toomey R, Jackson LW, Alpern R, Parks BJ, Klimas N, Hall C, Pak HS, Hunter J, Karlinsky J, Battistone MJ, Lyons MJ. Gulf War veterans’ health: a comprehensive clinical evaluation of a population based sample of 2189 Gulf War Era veterans. Annals Internal Medicine 2005;142:881-890.
- Eisen SA, Griffith KH, Xian H, Scherrer JF, Fischer ID, Chantarujikapong S, Hunter J, True WR, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT. Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of psychiatric disorders in 8,169 male Vietnam Era veterans. Military Med 2004;169:896-902.
- Eisen SA, Chantarujikapong S, Xian H, Lyons MJ, Toomey R, True WR, Scherrer JF, Goldberg J, Tsuang MT. Does marijuana use have residual adverse effects on self reported health measures, socio-demographics and quality of life? A monozygotic co-twin control study in men. Addiction, 2002;97:1137-1144.
- Eisen SA, Slutske W, Lyons M, Lassman J, Xian H, Toomey R, Chantarujikapong S, Tsuang M. The Genetics of Pathological Gambling. Seminars Clin Neuropsychol, 2001;6:195-204.
Washington University School of Medicine
Division of Medical Education
Campus Box 8121
660 S. Euclid Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110
p: (314) 362-8065 f: (314) 747-1080